100th Annual Celebration
The Fort Lee Public Library began as a small collection started by the Mother’s Club of School No. 1 (whose members included women with the surnames of Fischer, Naudet, Waller and Wasserman) and was housed in a small real estate office on Lemoine Ave. In 1922, the Fort Lee Borough built a small building for the Library at Main Street and Center Avenue. In 1930, the Library moved into Fort Lee’s new municipal building. The present day Library on Main Street was built in 1971 and the building was enlarged by a 9,000 square foot addition in 1997, increasing the total space to 30,000 square feet.
The Library Board has been working with architect, Arcari and Iovino+, on plans to expand the Children’s Room and to renovate and refresh the rest of the space to include small meeting rooms, a cafe and technology lab. Renderings for this project will be unveiled the night of the event.